About Me

My photo
I'm an Army wife and aspiring author, published by Evernight Publishing. I primarily write M/M, but I'm starting to branch out. I'm not very good at technology, but I'm hoping this blog gives me the opportunity to communicate with other authors and readers. My life is kept interesting by my soldier, Ringo the chihuahua, and all the amazing people that I consider friends. I also work entirely too much as a coach at a local gym, a caregiver at a church nursery, and a freelance baker.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia


That's today, folks. Even though I'm not participating in a blog hop, I still think it's important for me to add my voice to that of the millions of people speaking today.

I live in Texas, in a town that doesn't have any resources readily available for the LGBT community. In an effort to change that, I started a group. We have about 20 members, but we're growing. We have big plans for activism, but I think the main purpose the group serves is to let everyone know they're not alone.

The reason I did this is pretty simple. One day, I'm going to have offspring(s). I want to be sure that when I do, if my child happens to be gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender etc. I will be able to say that I have and continue to fight for equality. So that if my future child is gay or lesbian, s/he can marry the one they love or if my future child is transgender s/he can express who s/he is without fear. To me, that's the best thing I can do right now.

As an author of m/m romance, there's a bit of a (for lack of a better word) stigma attached in some people's eyes. I'm getting published pretty soon and I can't even tell my father for fear of judgement. People assume there's something wrong or perverted about it, but all I write about is love.

Love is beautiful. It's the one thing that unites us. There's a lot of hate in the world, so much that it can be discouraging. That's why days like today are so important. We all need to be reminded that our love is stronger than their hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment